Sunday, 20 March 2016

Edinburgh Yarn Festival 2016

I was up at 5.30am yesterday, walking the dog before I caught the first train to Edinburgh for the 2016 Yarn Festival.

Three hours of knitting later and I was met by:  Christine!  Sunshine!  Yarn!  Fibre!

Market Rainbow on Dorset Horn fibre and Evan's Blue on Shetland, both by Porpoise Fur
Some of it came home with me :)

It was a very good day indeed.

My Angelus Novus cardigan met its makers, in the form of the designer Renee (East London Knit):


And the yarn dyer, Helen (The Wool Kitchen):


So exciting to meet at last!

It was amazing to realise how interconnected the yarny world can be, linked as we all are by a common thread (ho ho ho).  I introduced Christine to Natalie...who introduced us both to a spinner I know from Ravelry as Couthy Quine... who spun some yarn that I acquired from the p-hop table in York and used to knit a tea cosy... for Christine!

All the famous knit-folks were there:  Rachel Coopey (who liked my shoes!), Stephen West, Ysolda, Kate Davies, Gudrun The Shetland Trader, the designers, the dyers, the podcasters... and pretty much everyone was approachable and friendly.

It was very busy in the marketplace, and rather overwhelming in the Bistro /lounge area, so we adjourned to the patio with our coffee and cake (of course).


It was amazingly warm for Scotland in March.  Christine and her friend K. set about unravelling my tangled wool. (I had a serious mishap with the ball-winder and swift.)
They both professed to enjoy this - what a treat!

And then we went back in for a second turn around the marketplace.
I may have purchased some yarny supplies :)


Left to right:  Hedgehog Fibres Skinny Singles in "Potluck 7", Travel Knitter sock in "Double Happiness", The Wool Kitchen merino / bamboo in "Ground Control" (the second to last skein on her stall!) and the same base in "Punch Drunk".

I had come prepared with a shopping list and a cash-based budget for woolly goodness.
However, the cafe did not accept cards and I had to pilfer from my stash fund to pay for coffee.


So my final, completely essential purchase of a skein of Hedgehog Fibres yarn from Stephen and Penelope was technically an overspend...?
Nah!  Not really!
I can definitely justify it on the grounds of personal growth, therapy... or simply blame it on the shop assistant's extraordinarily flattering sales technique:  she presented me with a "Style Award for awesomeness in knitwear" (lol) and a free Stephen West knitting pattern book of my choice - ooh, yes please!

I have a plan for everything I bought.
There are just not enough hours in the day to make it happen!
I was up at 6am again today, just because I was so eager to start playing with my new toys.
I am all fired up, full of inspiration and ideas - woo hoo!

In case you were wondering... Hero was home alone all that time.  However, FL's golf pal came over to walk him in the middle of the day.
My faithful hound was clearly pleased to see me when I got back - I think he thought I had abandoned him.
An extra doggy treat was administered!


32 comments:

  1. I am delighted you had such a good day out and fun at the yarn show. I have serious envy on the show and spending time with darling Christine and her friend. Glad Hero coped well on his own for the day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fantastic day! And your haul looks wonderful. I have saved the date for next year's Festival. By all accounts it is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely bigger and better than last year - well worth the trip!

      Delete
  3. How exciting. I've knitted Kate Davies' 'owl' jumper and have my eye on some of her other patterns, I'd love to meet her - sounds like a great day altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EYF was certainly a good place to meet your favourite designers :)

      Delete
  4. Great haul! Sounds like you had a lovely day - I nipped in for a v brief whizz around the market place on Friday afternoon. I was pleased with my haul, but I keep seing things on twitter and the blogosphere that look even more yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick now is to use what we bought...!

      Delete
  5. What a great haul! Glad you were able to meet up with friends and have fun, and that Hero also had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had some yarny diversions. I will have to go the knitter's frolic in my city this spring, though it would't be as exciting as going the a yarn festival in Edinburgh! I think the frolic is as close as |I can get to a yarn festival

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A frolic sounds like great fun! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, this is one yarn festival I would really love to go to! Looks like you absolutely made the most out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edinburgh is certainly a "destination" in itself, so adding a yarn festival to a trip is the cherry on the cake!

      Delete
  8. Fabulous yarn and fluff shopping! I particularly like the "Double Happiness" red. Gorgeous.
    Of course you won a style award for awesomeness in knitwear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Awesomeness in looking like I wanted to spend some money! ;)
      Yes, TravelKnitter does amazing reds.

      Delete
  9. So glad you had a nice time! We were there on Friday. It really was excellent, wasn't it? I may have purchased a few treats from La Bien Aimee, Skein Queen and some glorious Gotland for a very generously sized shawl in grey with just the tiniest hint of blush for Spring. I hope to be able to say hello to you in person one of these days - maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - Gotland! And yes,hopefully next year!

      Delete
  10. Looks like a fab day xx won't hurt Hero to be home alone occasionally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni - he was very pleased to see me!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely day, in the warmth of the woolly community. It's so good to see you, and to hear of all your plans for your goodies. I'm looking forward to seeing what you whip up with them.
    Give Hero a pat from over the miles in Australia. Good dog!
    You're doing good, Lady Roo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry I was there on Friday so missed you, love your purchases, glad you had a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you had a lovely time! I shall look forward to seeing all your plans come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all my readers can hold me to account for languishing yarn...!

      Delete
  14. I am envious! I got the Wool Tribe magazine, and have been reading everyone's accounts of the festival. Maybe one year... What a lovely time, and lovely yarn and fiber! Can't wait to see what you do with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magazine is a good souvenir I think :)

      Delete
  15. So envious, I was hoping we might get there but next year hopefully. Looks like you had a good time. Cardigan looks fabulous as do you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber - it's a date! :)
      And thank you.

      Delete